The weather is turning cool, a chocolate bun might be an ideal treat for you. We would like to share with you the best in town Chocolate Bun recipe initiated by our Pastry Chef – Linh. Let’s prepare and turn it into reality:
Ingredients for 6 servings
|Making Dough:||Making Chocolate Custard:|
|. 113g AP flour|
. 38g wheat starch
. 3g instant yeast
. 20g granulated sugar
. 1g salt
. 5g vegetable oil
. 85g whole milk
|. 100g Dark chocolate 55%|
. 60g Whipping cream.
. 5g Vanilla essence
Tools you’ll need:
. Food processor/blender
. Mixing bowl
. Parchment paper
. Roll cutter/Knife
. Rolling pin or any cylinder-shaped thing.
. & most important: your skillful hands
- Dissolve yeast, a pinch of sugar into 25ml of lukewarm milk (40C). Wait for about 10 mins or until the yeast mixture turns foamy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, caster sugar, and ground sesame (if you wanna) in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the flour mixture, add the remaining milk and the yeast mixture to form a dough.
- Transfer dough onto a non-stick work surface. Knead in the butter for at least 20 mins to form an elastic and smooth dough and then proof the dough for 1 hr.
- Making the chocolate filling: mix together chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Place the bowl over a barely simmering saucepan of water and stir until the chocolate has melted. Whisk in the cream until the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Divide dough into 35g portions and roll into round balls. On a lightly floured work surface and using a rolling pin, roll each portion into an oval shape which is about 2 mm thickness (for Kneading technique, dough dividing and rolling out, please watch: https://youtu.be/utkXusoDNtw?t=285).
- Divide chocolate filling into 20g portions and roll into round balls. Place them in the center of each dough piece and stretch the dough around the chips, pinching one end to form a ball. Place the ball seam-side down onto a wax paper square. Continue with the remaining pieces of dough.
- Rest the bun in a warm mist for 20 mins or until slightly doubled in size but not too long as over-prove buns tend to wrinkle after cooling from steaming.
- Steam bun for 15 mins.
- When ready, remove the buns immediately from the steamer and serve warm.
NOW THAT YOU CAN ALREADY MAKE STEAMED BUNS BY HANDS ALL FROM SCRATCH. ENJOY!!
Please add any questions or comments here I’ll respond shortly!